Day 116 - Tuesday 14th July

A full-on morning as last night's cleaning challenges meant I wasn't able to prepare for this morning's meeting of the climate change partnership at 9.30. I'm at my desk by 8 preparing some slides and reading through the papers, and have time to check my work emails before the meeting starts. We have some issues getting one of the board members connected, but we only overrun a little and manage to get all the main decisions made.

Soon after my meeting ends hubby leaves for a funeral; the friend who died suddenly from a stroke. Just before he goes he answers the door for a delivery, which turns out to be a gorgeous bouquet from our son's girlfriend to say thank you for letting her stay. I grab some food to eat at my desk, set off the breadmaker so my guests have fresh bread on arrival and carry on working, breaking off only briefly to discuss lunch options with my son. I have a long to-do list today but I power through it and manage to tick several items off. Hubby returns mid-afternoon and hops straight onto a zoom call.

After work I fulfil an online order and take the parcel to the post box; while I'm out our guests arrive. I take them them the fresh loaf and apologise in case the shower still drains slowly. They are nice guys and very easy going, a real pleasure to host and understanding about minor problems. They want to stay weekly until September which is ideal for us; it will help restore our finances which took a battering over the last few months but we don't have to worry about deep cleaning because no other guests will be staying. Once their contract finishes we'll have to reconsider whether to continue taking guests; we really ought to downsize and although sharing our spaces makes it feel less excessive the extra demands of covid-safe cleaning is a lot of work on top of a day job.

Hubby is watching football and son playing computer games while I cook dinner; I experiment with making tortilla chips with stale tortillas. I still find it satisfying to find alternative uses for food that would otherwise be wasted. Now I just have to find a use for the massive crop of blackberries that are ripening daily in our garden; we haven't made a dent in last year's jam yet - maybe sorbet is the answer? After dinner I check social media and catch up on this blog while listening to the radio. Once the footie is over we watch Luminaries - it's getting really weird now with hallucinations and ghostly apparitions, but we're 5 episodes in and it seems too late to bail out.

Tonight I am grateful for easy going guests.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 53 - Monday 11th May

Day 56 - Thursday 14th May

Day 34 - Tuesday 21st April