Day 117 - Wednesday 15th July

What a rubbish night's sleep. Just kept waking up and took a while to get back to sleep each time. I don't feel really rested but I have a lot to do today - as usual. After breakfast I email the IT support people my company uses to see if they can reconnect my personal drive which they messed up while trying to fix other issues, then pop to the M&S at the petrol station to get a card and some gifts for my daughter's anniversary tomorrow. Hubby is on a call when I come back with a card and I leave it for him to sign and get on with some bits and pieces to fill time. He finishes his call, asks me whether he should sign "Dad" or his name and then disappears into the loo for 10 minutes - no doubt checking his phone, but I'm waiting to go out and have a list of places to get to before lunch. Eventually he comes out, signs the card and I go about my morning.

Two lots of masks to pick up - some plain black and blue ones for the boys and a black and white chevron striped one for me - then I drop the gifts off at my daughter's house. My grandson is at nursery but they show me how they've re-arranged his room to give him a play space. He's growing up so fast. Then over to Mum's house with her soup - her favourite has been out of stock at Morrisons for weeks so I bought half a dozen when they came back in. I help her add some extra blooms to her artificial hanging baskets and fold up her bedding for her, and we chat. She's still preoccupied with the damages claim from a court case against Dad resulting from asbestos exposure; there's a charge on her house that she wants overturned. Unfortunately, although he was blameless, Dad was declared liable and having retired long before was unable to locate any insurance documents that would indemnify him. It's unfair but I explored all possible avenues years ago and I really wish she'd let go of the negativity. Life's too short to fill it with regret. We part on good terms but I don't think she'll ever give up fighting it.

I have lunch with my son - preparing part of dinner while getting it ready - and then settle down for some zoom calls. I have a handover with the person who is picking up my theme of the climate change action plan, then a tech meeting for a talk I'm hosting on sustainability for Reading Fringe. Then some admin before I assemble our lasagnes. I go back to my PC to complete my follow up actions from the meetings but end up chatting to my friend for ages. I get an email out of the blue from an old business contact who has a potential client for me - I quickly message him to arrange a chat to update him on my new job.

It's been a busy day and I've achieved about half of what I wanted to do. I'm grateful for my bed tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 53 - Monday 11th May

Day 56 - Thursday 14th May

Day 34 - Tuesday 21st April