Day 118 - Thursday 16th July

That's better - a good night's sleep. I get to my desk in good time to check emails and review my schedule before the team call at 9.30 but one of the emails tells me it's postponed to 10.15 due to another call. We all check in and share our plans for the day, and my list looks quite manageable - just three things on it. The director grabs me straight after to talk about a couple of projects I need to pick up, and he asks whether I know any graduates who will be looking for work as we'll need to recruit soon. Then I have a call with a colleague about a proposal we need to submit for some extra work for an existing client. A few emails later I'm at a network event for women in sustainability having a conversation that reminds me how helpful and supportive my industry is. Coincidentally, three women out of the eight present say they don't currently work in the industry, but want to moe into sustainability consultancy. Two are actively studying with CISL at the moment so after the meeting I reach out to them on LinkedIn and suggest an informal chat about possible opportunities. My director is amazed when I tell him I've found two potential candidates already.

Straight after that call we have a business plan meeting and I pick up a few more actions. By 2pm I'm starving and my job list has more than doubled in size. I grab some lunch on the veranda just to give my eyes some distance to look at and head back inside to push ahead on some of the work. I make headway on a couple of the projects, but none of the three things that were on my list first thing get finished. I check my personal email and respond to some climate change partnership messages, authorise a payment for my charity and message my friend who lives in Wokingham to suggest I pop in after work, as I have to go to the office tomorrow. She replies to say she'll be busy.

I pick some more of the never-ending supply of blackberries, and leave hubby to finish that as I'm feeling shaky and lightheaded - I need sugar so I have a can of lemonade while I cook. I've tried to drink the same cup of peppermint tea three times today, and have reheated it twice in the microwave. It's still three quarters full. The kitchen is a mess and I'm pretty sure it will be the same when I get home tomorrow, as hubby is going out at 5 to meet a friend, but I really can't face it tonight. I put sourdough in the bread maker, update this blog and check the time - it's almost 10.30pm and I haven't stopped yet. The dough won't be ready until 11.30 so I pack my bag for work, change into pyjamas and go to watch something on the TV. If I don't have some wind-down time I'll never sleep.

Today I'm grateful to work in an industry where people are so supportive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 53 - Monday 11th May

Day 56 - Thursday 14th May

Day 34 - Tuesday 21st April