Day 119 - Friday 17th July

I reach the office in good time and am first in. My colleague Mary joins me and we have the team call from her laptop. As the call progresses I realise that she is leaving for Greece on Monday - I knew she was going in August to get married, but it seems she'll be working from Greece until then too. I'm impressed that my employer is so enlightened. After the call I move to the other office, as we'll both be taking part in a webinar and this will be awkward from the same room. First, I have a call with my ex colleague who has a prospective client for me. It's great to catch up with him and the opportunity seems a good one.

The webinar is a shambles - I had bailed on a previous one by the same organisers and had assumed they would learn from previous mistakes. It appears they hadn't and I was embarrassed because although they convened it, the climate change partnership and my charity were co-hosts. With a short break for lunch, my colleague and I went to the school for our meeting where there was a definite end of term vibe. Then I rushed back to attend another online meeting which had started while we were out.

My colleague left mid-afternoon to work the rest of the day from home, and I soon wished I had done the same as the wifi dropped and restarting the router didn't restore it. I messages colleagues to ask for suggestions but meanwhile it gradually returned to stability. I had considered going home to work but the friend who lives in Wokingham had just told me that she was free after work after all and asked me to buy tonic on the way ... this seemed like a fine way to start the weekend, especially as hubby was going to meet a friend too and was due home at 8.

We drank G&T and chatted for an hour or so, and I got home about 7.45 just in time to cook dinner. My son was the only one in, and had only recently got up. Hubby messaged to say he'd be a bit late, but that's ok - so was dinner. The radio tells me that the PM is encouraging people to go to work if they can but his scientific advisor is publicly contradicting this; Boris wants life in the UK to return to something close to normal by Christmas. Brazil's infection rate is climbing fast and Trump has said he will never force the American people to wear masks because it should be a matter of personal choice. The best news today is that indoor performances can resume with socially distanced audiences, although it's hard to see how they will make theatres pay with reduced capacity.

We eat dinner and have a wide-ranging conversation about science. I finalise our online shop then sit with hubby and watch a documentary about the British "stiff upper lip". Then bed - tonight I'm grateful to have seen my friend after all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 53 - Monday 11th May

Day 56 - Thursday 14th May

Day 34 - Tuesday 21st April